| Watch video | What can I do? | Getting permission | Crediting | Links and quiz |  


What can I do?

If you want to copy music, such as melodies, advertising jingles, film scores, MP3 files, CDs, DVDs and vinyl, you probably need permission from the copyright owners.

There is generally more than one copyright owner of music in a musical track. The:

If you want permission to use a recording of song, you need to obtain permission from the copyright owners in the song (such as the composer and lyricist) and the copyright owner in the recording (for example, the record label).

If you are copying the work as part of your homework or for a class assignment, in most cases you won’t need to get permission, but if you want to use the work in other ways, such as entering the work into a competition or exhibiting your work publicly (such as on the internet), you will need to get permission from the copyright owner.

Some CDs and websites have anti-copying protection in place. You shouldn’t try and break into it to copy tracks.